Zig Ziglar was a motivational speaker, author, and salesman who was born in Coffee County, Alabama. His early childhood was difficult as he father passed away leaving his mother a widow. There were 12 children in total and Zig was the 10th of those children.
Zig was known for his motivational speaking and writing. Below is a list of 10 rules for success he has mentioned throughout his career:
- “If you can dream it, you can achieve it.” In other words, have a dream. Give
yourself a goal to work towards achieving. “A goal properly set is halfway
- Think as a champion – “Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your
altitude.” Keep a good attitude in everything you do.
- Be committed – This seems to be an issue for many people because they can’t
seem to commit to anything. “People often say motivation doesn’t last. Neither
does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.” Be committed everyday to give
your best in everything you do.
- Do it right now! Procrastination delays success. Stop making excuses and do
what it takes to reach your goal beginning today.
- Be prepared – Preparation is necessary for success. Arrogance keeps you from
being prepared. It shows when you are not prepared.
- Keep your word – “If your word is no good, you are no good.” If you don’t keep
your word, it will be difficult for others to depend on and trust you. Be a person
that keeps his/her word.
- Set your goals – Choose to set goals, and realize your potential. It is your choice
to make. If you choose not to set goals, the future consequences may not be what
you would want. Write the goal down, make the action plan, and put a specific
date to reach the goal. Do you know when you will reach the goal? Only after you
actually take action toward reaching the goal.
- Evaluate where you are – Take a look at how you are investing your time and
resources. Are you headed in the right direction?
- Have integrity – Display integrity on your job, at home, in your everyday life. Be a person of integrity.
- Don’t quit – “Remember that failure is an event, not a person.” We will never
know how much success we might have had if we quit just short of the goal. If
you fail, get back up and try again. Don’t let defeat overtake you. Keep trying
until you succeed. Become the best you can be and don’t give up.
These are just a few of the many inspirational tips that Zig Ziglar gave over the years. It is advice that should be used as you continue striving to reach your potential!